Passports/Personal Number/Name Change

Last updated: 6/12/2015 // For issuance or renewal of a Norwegian passport you must submit an application in person at the Norwegian Embassy in Washington DC, or the Consulate General in New York, San Francisco CA, or Houston TX.

Due to biometric passport requirements, all adult passport applicants must apply in person. The Honorary Consulates are not accepting passport applications for persons over 12 years of age. Biometrics is not mandatory for children under the age of 12, therefore Honorary Consulates may still process passport applications for children.

Please call ahead of time to make passport application appointments.

Please note that all Norwegian citizens must have a registered personal number in the National Norwegian Registry before a passport application can be processed. Application for a personal number may be placed with The Embassy in Washington DC, the Consulate General in New York, the Consulate General in San Francisco CA, or the Consulate General in Houston TX.

Passport applicants shall, upon presenting themselves at the Foreign Service Mission, pay an application fee and thereafter submit their biometric data in the form of photo, fingerprints and signature. An application form must be signed in front of a Consular Officer.

The applicants may choose which Embassy or Consulate General they wish to file the passport application with. They may also apply for passport at any police station or passport office while visiting Norway. Delivery/distribution of the new passport will take place at the designated Embassy or Consulate General.

Processing time is 3-4 weeks, but may take up to 6-8 weeks if you need to apply for a Norwegian personal number, or if you have changed your name.

In case of an emergency, a temporary emergency passport may be issued.  An emergency passport must be surrendered at the end of the trip. The fee is the same as for a regular passport.

Please bring the following documents when applying for a passport:

  • Your old passport. If this has been lost or stolen you must bring photo identification that shows your Norwegian personal number. You must also complete the form GP-7091 "Loss of passport notification." If the passport has been stolen, you must bring a police report.
  • Valid visa or current US Resident Alien Card. If you are a citizen of another country, proof must accompany your application.
  • Declaration stating that you have not acquired foreign citizenship.
  • If your current passport does not indicate your Norwegian 5-digit personal number (or if you have lost your passport) please provide an official Norwegian document confirming it (driver’s license, birth certificate, tax return etc.). If you have never been issued a Norwegian personal number, please see below for instructions on how to obtain one.
  • If your name has been changed since the issuance of your previous passport, please contact the closest foreign service mission to verify that your name is correct in the Population Register (Folkeregisteret). This must be done prior to applying for a new passport. The passport will be printed in the name you are registered under in The Population Register (Folkeregisteret). "Melding om endring av navn" must be completed. "Melding om endring av navn" should be sent to: Personregisteret, 9613 Hammerfest NORWAY. 

Additional requirements for minors under age 18

  • In addition to the above-mentioned documentation, please note that applications for minors under age 18 require consent from both parents. Unless both parents personally accompany the child, a written and signed statement from the parent not present must be presented together with both parents’ passports for verification of signature.
  • Copy of the child’s birth certificate where the parents' names appear. If it is the child’s first Norwegian passport, the original birth certificate or a certified copy must be presented.
  • Children under 7 years of age must bring 2 recent passport photos, taken at a facility that specializes in taking passport photos.

Passports have different validity according to how old the passport holder is when applying

  • Children under 5 years: passport will be valid for 2 years.
  • Children between 5 and 10 years: Passports will be valid for 3 years.
  • Children between 10 and 16 years: Passports will be valid for 5 years.
  • Persons over 16 years: Passports will be valid for 10 years.
  • Passports for children born outside of Norway, or children born with dual citizenship, not fulfilling the residence requirements, will only be valid until his/hers 22nd birthday. At that time he/she will lose his/her Norwegian citizenship unless an application to retain it has been received by a Norwegian Foreign Service Mission before he/she turns 22 years old. The application to retain Norwegian citizenship, "Søknad om å beholde norsk statsborgerskap", must be completed and presented in person at the Mission covering your state of residence. For further information, please refer to the Norwegian Directorate of Immigration's web site:

How to obtain a Norwegian personal number

  • The personal number is a five-digit number issued by Norwegian authorities in addition to your date of birth (equivalent to a social security number). This number is required in order to issue and renew a Norwegian passport. Requests for a personal number must be addressed in letter form directly to the Embassy or Consulate General. The letter must state that the applicant is applying for a personal number with the means of obtaining a new passport.
  • You must enclose a certified copy of your birth certificate, a notarized copy of your Norwegian passport, and a notarized copy of your US Permanent Resident Card (Green Card) or US Visa. Processing time is approximately 5-6 weeks.
  • To obtain a personal number for a child, please submit an original transcript, or a notarized copy, of the child's birth certificate, a notarized copy of the parents’ passports, and notarized copy/copies of the US Permanent Resident Card or US Visa of the Norwegian parent/parents. A letter signed by both parents stating that you are applying for a personal number in order to apply for a passport, must be included in the application. Remember to include your contact information. Applications should be sent to the Foreign Service Mission having jurisdiction over your state of residence.
  • If the child is born before September 1, 2006, by a Norwegian father and a foreign mother, a certified copy of the parents’ marriage certificate must be presented.


The passport fee is $53 for adults and children over 16 years of age, and $32 for children under 16. Payable by money order.

Debit/Credit Card payments are now accepted by:

  • The Embassy in Washington DC
  • The Consulate General in New York
  • The Consulate General in Houston

If you do not have the opportunity to pick up your passport, you must submit with your application a prepaid self-addressed return envelope (USPS, FedEx, UPS) along with the form "Declaration of Waiver and Hold Harmless."

Please note that the Consulate Generals in San Francisco and Houston prefers USPS if you want express return. 

Office hours vary by location

Bookmark and Share